Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1.) How many PDUs do I need to renew my license?
PDUs required for a full license (This is based on the length of the license you are renewing and currently hold, and not the number of years that you want to renew for):
All licensed educators must complete 25 PDUs per year of the licensure term as follows:
- 50 professional development units (PDUs) if you have a two year license;
- 75 professional development units (PDUs) if you have a three year license; and
- 125 professional development units (PDUs) if you have a five year license.
PDUs for Substitute Teaching or Restricted Substitute Teaching Licenses:
- PDUs are no longer required for Substitute Teaching or Restricted Substitute Teaching Licenses.
2.) What documentation must be submitted?
- All educators subject to the new requirements must submit a Log of Professional Development Activities worksheet, in addition to verification of completion for each activity you are claiming PDU credit (i.e. statement of completion, certificate of attendance, etc.) or an official transcript if coursework was completed.
3.) What evidence do I need to show that I’ve completed the required PDUs?
For information concerning the PDU requirements specific to individual license types, please click here or see bulleted list above.
- All PDUs must fall within one of these seven standards.
- Here is the Log of Professional Development Activities. This form should be used to record all of the PDU activities completed during the life of the license.
- This is the form for Verifying Attendance at Event for PDU credit. If the educator plans to attend an event that is eligible for PDU credit but the event does not provide a certificate of attendance, they should complete this form. They will need to fill out the top portion of this form and take it to the event. Request that an authority figure related to sponsorship of the event sign the form, verifying their attendance.
4.) I’m short PDUs. How can I obtain more? Below are a few links to help you find useful and affordable PDU options: